Sunday, January 26, 2014

Five for Friday... I mean Sunday:-)

So I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching to share my Five for Friday.... just on Sunday! I am really excited because we had a fun week in third grade! 


We have been working on place value a ton! So here are my kids using place value mystery task cards

And, they loved them!! It was a much bigger hit than I thought it was going to be! 

And this one I am really excited about. I kinda got the idea from 4th Grade Frolics. I had my students complete these adorable snowmen pictures with chalk. The pictures were completed based on this dice activity! 
The finished pictures were adorable! And, they had so much fun working with the chalk and using different colored chalk. 

After they completed their chalk snowman, they were asked to write a paragraph description of their snowman. Their description was aimed to be as detailed as possible because they were not going to be putting their names on their snowman. Eventually, we hung up the the snowmen and exchanged descriptive paragraphs with partners. It was clear to see that it was easier for their partner to find their snowman if the description was detailed, but the descriptions that were short and vague were much more difficult to find matching snowmen. It was a great activity, and the students were engaged while realizing how important details are in writing! 


In writing, we've been studying facts and opinions so that we can start our opinion writing next week. We had a great debate....
The sweeties did not want to stop! I split up the class between cats and dogs, and they had time to come up with reasons and examples as to why cats or dogs were the best pet. We then came back together to have a "respectful" debate." If it weren't for PE, we could have been at it for hours! Great activity! 


And a little math fun! 


We reinforced place value with a matching memory game with numbers up to hundred thousands  written in standard form and word form. They wanted to get the most matches! 

And ....



This one isn't so much fun....


I'll be out Tuesday and Wednesday at training, so I've been tackling my sub plans. Man, they are a lot more work and time consuming than I wanted them to be! 

Have a great week!! 

Gabrielle 


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Gabrielle! I found your blog via Doodle Bugs's Five for Friday linky. Don't worry - you aren't the only one who's "fashionably late" to the party! As a recent graduate (as in December) and long-term sub, I just wanted to say that I'm sure your sub plans are awesome and they will be greatly appreciated! It's never easy to step in to a classroom of kiddos you don't know, and having those plans to keep things as normal as possible for the class is such a blessing! Keep the up the hard work! :)

    P.S. I'm hosting my first-ever giveaway on my blog, and I'd love if you'd check it out and enter!

    Sarah Beth
    Miss White's Classroom

    ReplyDelete